It’s been a really really long time since I played on my system last. Actually, it’s been a very long time since I played a PC game at all. I used to be an avid gamer a few years back, and Counterstrike and Age of Empires were my favourites.
I found my old CS:CZ disk two or three days back, and I couldn’t help wanting to play again😀
It took me a while to google up and get it all working and I’m going to spew it out here for everyone else.
- Go find your counterstrike CD!
- Install wine (refer: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263150):
su -c ' yum install wine.i686 --enablerepo=u*g'
- Install the gecko engine thing it asks you to. (I don’t know if it’s needed, but no harm installing it eh?)
- Install counterstrike from the CD (run the setup.exe using wine)
- Once finished, you might not view some text in the game. This is because of missing mscore fonts. Get the setup files from the Internet. There are a lot of sites, such as this, which still have these fonts. Install them by running the exe files with wine.
- Once done, run the game. It *should* run.
- If you choose to play a custom game, it might get stuck. This would be because it wants to load some HTML docs or something. A work around is to get rid of the “motd_temp.html” and “motd.txt“files. You’ll find these files in the “/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Valve/Condition Zero/” directory. (Refer: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=8032&iTestingId=12149 )
- Run the game using wine and get them bombs!!!
Happy gaming! “Fire in the hole!”😀